Wednesday 6 August 2008

Ty-phoon in Hong Kong!

Today Ty and I woke up excited at the prospect of going to Disneyland Ty was more excited than me! Anyway we get downstairs and are advised by the concierge that there is a rating 8 typhoon and everything is closed including Disneyland! Even the shopping malls are shut so basically there is nowhere for us to go. We spent the day in our hotel rooms, bored to death and I slept for most of the day, hence the time to update this blog.

Hong Kong has been alot of fun so far, but I find myself comparing it to Vietnam, which was awesome! There is an expectation here that Ty and I can speak the language so we get treated quite badly when we tell them we can't. I think they assume we are ex-pats who moved to a country and are trying to be more "western". The irony is in Vietnam eveyone spoke to me in English no-one thought I was Vietnamese. The shopping here is amazing, but quite expensive. There are alot of designer brands which are cheaper than back home. I found a great purse that I can't get in Australia which was a great buy.

We had hoped to buy presents for family back home, but it has been impossible to find anything that is not cheap and tacky. So we decided to only get the nieces things and no-one else to keep it fair. I only managed to find something for Beth yesterday at an outlet which I can't wait to give her, fingers crossed they fit.

Tomorrow we are going to try and get to Disneyland again, because we have been told the typhoon should pass by tonight, and there will only be rain tomorrow which we can handle. It's ironic there is a typhoon, cos "phoon" is Ty's nickname from some of his closest friends. It's really our last day to do anything because we fly out on Friday. I'm disappointed I didn't get to see the Stanley Markets but you can't control mother nature.

Only 3 more sleeps til I see Beth I'm so excited!!!

No comments: