Wednesday 25 June 2008

I stood up for myself...

I had an important moment at work yesterday. Those people who know me would describe as loud, and opiniated but when it comes to standing up for myself at work or in social situations I avoid it like the plague. I hate confrontation and would rather bottle up my frustrations and then go home and complain to Ty :). Well yesterday one of the girls must have caught me at a bad time when I had had enough. I had a doctor on the phone who wanted to know if he had paid. He had two invoices with us, and I wasn't sure where to look (baring in mind that this is not part of my job and I was helping out the girls by taking the overflow of calls because we are soooo busy). I put the doctor on hold and asked someone whose position it is to help the rest of us. She started yelling at me and everyone could hear so I said to her "Stop yelling at me I've never been shown how to do this, and I'm asking lots of questions so I know what to do next time." She yelled back and then said "I'll go through everything and find it for you" I was so angry so I just said "Don't bother I'll do it myself". I then burst into tears and ran downstairs to ring Ty, who felt so bad for me because I was very upset and sobbing. Just another day at my workplace.

One of the lawyers there told the HR manager I had been crying so she took me downstairs for a coffee. I just spilled my beans about work, and she was so understanding which was fantastic. The girl and I have talked things through which I thought was good and now it's all water under the bridge, I thought that was very mature of me, but I'm generally a very forgiving person, my family think I'm too forgiving sometimes. I was so proud of myself and my friend Alicia told me I handled myself very well, snaps for me!

2 comments:

Clara said...

You go girl! :) Hope work is better now that you've got some of those feelings out in the open now...

Ty Phoon said...

I'm proud of you too baby. You can't let these types of people walk over you. And remember, you do not owe them anything. Your health and happiness comes first. Never forget that, okay :) xox